Friday, September 7, 2007

Best songs of the 80s

Recently I saw a show on VH1 counting down the top 100 songs of the 80s. Obviously, this is a totally subjective matter and no one can really pin down the best song of the 80s. Here is the problem, VH1 chose Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" as the top song of the 80s. EXCUSE ME???? Are you kidding me? First of all, in my humble but incredibly astute opinion, that song sucks bigtime. I can't stand Bon Jovi. Maybe 3 songs from them are decent at best, and that isn't one of them. What a load of crap. I knew I wouldn't necessarily like the top choice or many of the 100, but come on! "Living on a Prayer"??? I figured that it would be MJ's "Thriller." Whether you like that song or not, no one can deny how huge that song was. The video alone was and still is colossal. I don't think people remember how popular Michael Jackson was in the 80s. There literally was no one bigger. I can't believe I'm speaking for a pedophile, but musically you have to give the dude? props. The amazing thing is that it wasn't even in the top 5. What? Right, not even in the top 5. But, really back to the real issue; how does Bon Jovi get the top spot??? Ok, ok, I will give them their due for being really popular (but not even close to MJ, or even Madonna, or even Janet J, etc.), and I'm sure some of you (including my wife, unfortunately) are Bon Jovi fans, but even y'all gotta admit there is no way that song is the top of the 80s. NO WAY IN HADES! I almost fell off the couch. I knew there was going to be questionable choices, as there always are in top 100 lists. I would have been flabbergasted to have Bon Jovi be in the top 5 at all, but number one?!?! Again, obviously, very subjective. My top song is going to be different than yours, and what we like as opposed to what we know is more popular, more successful, and so on is probably different. But this is just ridiculous. Anyway, I don't like "Thriller" as my favorite song or anything, but as for its impact and enormity, nothing really tops it. "Tainted Love" should have been way higher (it was in the 30s or high 20s). You can probably find the complete list at VH1.com.

So what do you think about "Living on a Prayer"?
What would be your top songs?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often Rock the Bon Jovi when the urge hits me. It's strange but whenever I play it, I get this overwhelming urge to grow the back portion of my hair out and wear a tank top. I also get the urge to drive a grand prix or some other midsize american car. Since Bon Jovi is more a of watered down wussified rock, you can't listen to it in a bitchin' camaro. It's more worthy of a Mercury Topaz or something like that.

Posted by Jeff M.

Anonymous said...

I agree, "Livin' on a Prayer" sucked. I never was a Bon Jovi fan because they were a bunch of posers - a glam band trying to pass themselves off as a real rock band. I mean, come on, if you want a real rock band you need only to look at Megadeth. Now, that was and still is a real rock band.

Anonymous said...

It's better than Survivor, Right Jeff?

Anonymous said...

Greg is that you? This is going to blow your mind, but I would choose Survivor.

IndieFan said...

Steve,

What do you think of Megadeth? I'm dying to know.

Anonymous said...

Jeffrey,
Twas I… I couldn’t resist the Survivor comment. It fit so well. Good luck with you and your new found love.
-GREG-

Anonymous said...

This isn't Steve, but rather Mark and I'll tell you what I think of Megadeth - they freakin' ROCK!!!! Dave Mustaine is a musical genius.

Sage Steve said...

I like the Megadeth song, "Hangar 18". It is pretty cool. Fun to play on Guitar Hero II.

Anonymous said...

"Hangar 18" rocks!! Props to Steve. Rack 'em